There are different fields in banking and you should choose one based on your interests. Most people choose retail banking because of the incentive system offered by the banks. There is another niche segment in the banking industry, investment banking. Investment banking activities include assisting companies in mergers and acquisitions. Investment bankers are also responsible for managing the financial assets of organizations. Investment bankers’ decisions are aimed at increasing the value of a company’s investments.
In general, an investment banker must have knowledge of securities, mergers and acquisitions, and capital markets. These solutions continue to play an important role in creating synergies within the company. The investment banker also performs all analysis for the company before a merger or acquisition is completed. The profession is very fascinating, and it can even offer you many opportunities. You can even travel a lot if you work as an investment banker. Every decision you make as an investment banker affects the value of the company’s shares. It should also be noted that you are not making the decision for the client, but giving advice. The final decision rests with the organization or the client.
We are sure that what you have read about investment banking has piqued your interest. The assignment doesn’t just seem bizarre, it’s genius. If you want to become an investment banker and you lack advice, you are at the right site. In this article, we have listed the ways in which you can become an investment banker in India. See details below.
Criteria for recognition as an investment banker
To become an investment banker, there are certain eligibility criteria. To become a successful investment banker, you also need skills. In this section we have listed all these details and you can refer to them below.
- You must have completed the 10+2 course from an accredited school with a minimum grade of 50%.
- You must have completed a doctoral or post-doctoral degree in a relevant field. The courses you can take to become an investment banker are listed in the next section.
- The field is highly competitive and you may have to work as an analyst in small and medium sized companies to get an investment banking job. It may take two or three years of experience before you can do this.
- MBA and CFA are two of the highest rated courses you can take to become an investment banker. These two areas will give you the expertise you need to excel in this field.
- In addition to the above criteria, you should have a number of skills that will help you do your job well. These skills are listed below.
- Analytical skills
- Financial literacy
- Financial modelling
- High capacity
- Mathematical skills
- Microsoft Excel and some data extraction tools
- Presentation skills
Training for the profession of investment banker
To become an investment banker, you have to undergo a certain amount of training. In this section, we have listed the different courses you can take to become an investment banker. You can consult the information below.
Many people try to find jobs as investment bankers after graduation. Some students find jobs as investment bankers after graduation. It is relatively difficult to find a job right away. Many companies feel that a student is not mature enough immediately after completing a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) or other degree. As for study options, you can get BBA, B.Com or any other degree in finance. Admission to these graduate programs may be based on merit or placement test scores.
Another way to become an investment banker is to work with a certified financial analyst. This is the easiest way to become an investment banker. Candidates can find employment in this field if they have completed two levels of the CFA. Passing all three levels will also make it even easier to get a job at an investment bank. Many CFAs are hired by consulting firms, foundations and insurance companies. To enter the CFA, you must register for the course and take either the Level 1 or Level 2 courses. You will be given the course material for the CFA, but you may still need points to pass the exam. Many institutes offer such coaching programs, which can be very helpful if you need to take the CFA exams.
Another way to become an investment banker is to get an MBA in finance. It remains one of the best decisions for people. You can get an MBA after any degree you have earned. This degree helps you develop the skills you need to work as an investment banker. At the end of the course you will have knowledge of the topics covered during the course. An investment banker has to learn all the subjects of the MBA finance program and all these subjects will come in handy during the course of study. After completing your MBA, you can find a job as an investment banker. Among the top MBA programs are IIM, ISB, FMS, IIFT and a few more. Moreover, the MBA is admitted through CAT or any other special entrance exam organized by the university.
Read also: 10 best countries for an MBA abroad
- Investment Banking School, Mumbai
The Mumbai School of Investment Banking offers a one-year certificate program where you will learn the fundamentals of investment banking. You can enroll in this course if you want to become an investment banker. You can also continue your studies at PhD level. If you go to college, this degree will increase your chances of getting a job. You’ll get a competitive edge with this certificate from the School of Investment Banking. The enrollment process is simple and you need to register with the institute to enroll in the certificate program.
- Postgraduate certificate in investment banking and research (NSE Academy)
Once you have completed your post-secondary education, you can also choose to attend an NSE Academy course. This is another short course offered to candidates who want to become investment bankers. The course lasts 11 months in total and teaches all the subjects needed to work as an investment banker. For more information, go to the website of the NSE Academy. This course is currently taught both online and offline.
- Certification programme for investment banking – BFB
The NSE offers an investment banking certification program that adds value to your business. The BSE also offers you a lot of value in the area of investment banking. This program is a great way to learn about trading and things related to investment banking. You should check out this certification program as it will help you gain enough knowledge for the role of an investment banker.
Also read : How to become a stockbroker in India.
The path to a successful career as an investment banker
If you stay on the right track in the investment industry, you will experience exponential growth in your career. In this section of the site, we have outlined the path to becoming a successful investment banker. See the paragraphs below.
- You need to go to the right people for advice. You need to know what subjects to study and what skills to acquire. Take one of the investment bankers as a mentor to learn how to act. Additionally, talking to an investment banker or hiring managers can help you get recommendations for job interviews.
- The next thing you should consider are internships. When you obtain your MBA, you must complete a mandatory internship of 2-3 months. During your internship, you will have the opportunity to define your area of expertise. An internship at one of the investment banks will help you. This is also your chance to get a pre-employment offer and get a job in the field. Trainees usually work as analysts directly with the investment banker, which allows you to make contacts.
- Some banks, such as JPMC, Credit Suisse and Goldman Sachs, have programs for investment bankers. You can even enroll in these programs and improve your grades. You might even get a job with these organizations if they like your work.
- Finally, you can take a certification course in investment banking or choose other short-term courses that will enhance your resume. This will give you an edge over the competition and increase your chances of being shortlisted for an interview.
Merchant Banker Appointments and Fees
We always encourage our readers to do a little research on the professions they could be in if they decide to pursue a career in investment banking. See details in the next section.
- HEAD OF THE FINANCIAL DEPARTMENT
- Junior Analyst
- Investment analyst
- Analyst Investment Bank
- Senior Analyst
The starting salary of an investment banker can be Rs 3.5 lakhs. With more experience, you get a 7-figure salary. The average salary in an investment bank with little experience is Rs 10 million.
Employer for investment bankers
There are several job opportunities if you are willing to work in this field. Numerous consulting firms, venture capital firms, investment banks, advisory firms, start-ups and financial firms offer their services in the area of investment banking. You can even work as an academic after taking an investment banking course. Here’s a list of some organizations that hire investment bankers.
- Axis Bank
- Bank of America
- Bank of New York Mellon
- Citi Bank
- Credit Suisse
- German Bank
- Goldman Sachs.
- JP Morgan Chase Bank
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Morgan Stanley.
- Wells Fargo
It had everything to do with the investment banking industry. We are sure you will get the advice you need. The field is very interesting and as the Indian market develops, there are many opportunities and prospects for growth. Immerse yourself in the course and you’ll love the job descriptions. We have tried to cover all the details of investment banking, but if you want more information, please leave a comment. We will get back to you with answers.
frequently asked questions
What are the qualifications required to become an investment banker?
There is no specific degree to become an investment banker. Investment banks hire graduates from most disciplines. However, transferable skills from subjects such as economics, business management, mathematics and finance can give you an advantage.
How much does an investment banker earn in India?
The average salary of an investment banker is ₹9,83,200 per annum (₹53,260 per month), which is ₹5,95,700 (+154%) higher than the national average salary in India. An investment banker can expect an average starting salary of ₹3,62,400. The highest salary can be more than ₹50,00,000.
Is it difficult to become an investment banker?
Investment bankers can work up to 100 hours a week doing research, developing financial models and giving presentations. While investment banking offers some of the most coveted and financially rewarding positions in banking, it is also one of the most demanding and challenging career paths, IB Guide.