Teaching has always been a respected profession in India. If you look back, you will see that students used to live in their teacher’s house to get a full education. They called teachers professors. The tradition continues today with slight variations in the structure of the training. The concept of Gurukul also prevailed in the early days. Excellent if you have the passion to become a teacher. This will open wide avenues and possibilities in your life. The teacher is building the future of our generation.
This would be a good choice if you decide to become a teacher. It’s a motivating profession. To become a teacher, you must have a minimum qualification. It is very important to ensure that you have obtained a master’s degree in the relevant field. Candidates with a master’s degree have special preference in appointment to a teaching position. You will feel good because the responsibility of teaching and educating well-educated students will be yours. You should also make sure that you build a friendly relationship with your student. This will make the road easier and better for both of you.
Requirements for appointment to a faculty position
If you are determined to become a teacher, you must possess certain qualities. Here are a few of them.
- To become a teacher, you must have completed postgraduate studies at a recognised university. It’s fine if you’re doing a masters in philosophy or a PhD. This will greatly increase your reach.
- You must get at least 55% in your major. Below this point, you are not eligible for a teaching position.
- You can also register and pass the UGC NET exam to get a secure and guaranteed teaching job. The position is much more reliable and better with this method.
- However, there is no age limit for the position of assistant professor. You can use it whenever you want.
- GATE, SLET, UGC NET are some of the reliable competitive exams to get a faculty position. Once you pass, you are guaranteed to get a job as a teacher. So your career is safe and secure. Many colleges and universities also hold exams for associate degrees. You can try.
Best teacher qualification examination
Some competitive exams are required to obtain a teaching position. You have to pass the exam to get a guaranteed job as a teacher. Here are some of the key tests.
- The NET or National Eligibility Test is a competitive exam administered by the National Testing Agency to select candidates for the position of teacher. To sit for this exam, you must have completed your master’s degree with a grade of 55%. For late classes, the required grade is 50%. If you pass the exam, you can apply for the Assistant Professor position anywhere in India.
- The SLET or State Eligibility Test is another test administered by the National Testing Agency. If you pass the exam, you can attend any university in your state.
- GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is an exam administered by the GATE committee. This committee is composed of the best faculty members. If you have successfully completed the GATE, you can also continue with the P.hd program.
- The CSIR NET is a national exam administered by the National Testing Agency. The exams cover subjects such as chemistry, physics and mathematics. Elementary science and other subjects. This is an exam to determine a student’s eligibility for an Associate of Science position.
Skills required to become a teacher in India
Apart from academic qualifications, there are certain skills required to become a teacher in India. Below are some of the best skills.
- It would be helpful if you could teach. It’s okay if you enjoy teaching other students.
- You must have a keen interest in and knowledge of the subject you wish to teach.
- It would be great if you had some creative ideas to make the lessons interesting and engaging.
- Your desire to learn new things complements your good qualities.
- This is ideal if you have good communication skills. This allows for easy interaction with students and other professionals.
- Try to do thorough research on the subject you want to teach. It’s vital to you. If you have extra time, try to use it for fruitful research work. This will significantly increase your knowledge in this area.
- You must have the ability to fix the problem. This is one of the best qualities required for this job.
- It would help if you were confident and experienced. Their positive attitude can solve many problems among students. Try to keep a smiling face so the students will appreciate it.
- Try to maintain full-time leadership. Having fun is one of the most enjoyable parts of being a teacher. This should start at the beginning of your career.
Essential functions of a teacher
The role of the teacher is very important as he/she has many responsibilities and duties. Here are some basics.
- You are a teacher, you have to prepare courses and a course schedule. You should prepare for the lab sessions as needed.
- You should review your work as required. This is an important task for the teacher.
- While you are writing your exams, you need to prepare your exam paper and other things that are necessary for the program to run smoothly.
- As a teacher you must record the students’ grades during the exam. The assessment must be fair. It is helpful not to discriminate between students in any way.
- Try to be friendly and maintain good relationships with students to discuss issues outside of class.
- Try to write a good research paper on how you do your research. If possible, try to introduce them to the students. This will help students increase their interest in learning. This can be a good way to focus on learning.
- In many situations, we can provide advice to assist teachers who are new to the profession. Try to introduce them in such a way that they won’t get into trouble when working with students. It is useful to remember that there is a difference between students and high school students. In the course of his studies, the student has acquired great maturity. You can’t call them names and lecture them.
- Another important part of the teacher’s responsibility is to provide guidance to students as needed. You must remain patient during the consultation.
- You may be asked to grade written and oral examinations. You must be able to perform the assessment.
- In the current situation, the training regime is changing. You need to work on the case. Suppose you are going to give a lecture on your topic at other colleges and universities. You need to give your presentations in digital form. You should be familiar with modern tools and equipment.
- Speaking in public is the most common task of a teacher. To do this, you must be fully informed and up to date. This is only possible if you follow the latest magazines and newspapers. They will help you stay informed from time to time.
The teacher’s perspective
If you start your life as a teacher, you can reach the pinnacle of success in less time. You can be promoted from teacher to head teacher based on your skills and performance. After a few years, you can be promoted to an eminent professor.
However, over time you will increase your productivity and knowledge. This will lead you to a position as a dean or college director. If you become dean of the university now, you will have the opportunity to be vice chancellor. Then you’ll be promoted to vice chancellor. As you know, success is endless. The highest and most important position in the faculty is that of rector. You can also achieve this top position through hard work, ambition and passion. Prospects in this area are high. The sky is the limit, and you have to grab it.
Your dream of becoming a professor and holding the chancellor’s chair is possible with a good, solid academic background. It would be helpful if you would try to delve into the subject you are passionate about. Try to be the best in your academic field. You will eventually reach your destination.
frequently asked questions
How do you become a professor at university?
If you want to become a teacher or professor, you will need to pursue postgraduate studies in your field. Since higher education is a college degree, you must also specialize, i.e. get a master’s or doctorate, in order to teach at a college.
How much does a teacher earn in India?
A person working as a teacher in India usually earns around MPR 45,100 per month. Salaries range from MPR 23,000 (lowest) to MPR 69,500 (highest). This is the average monthly salary, including housing, transportation and other benefits. Speaker salaries vary considerably by experience, qualifications, gender or location.
How do I become a professor in India?
Teacher Selection Procedure The minimum qualification required is NET/SLET. NET – The National Eligibility Test (NET) is administered by the University Grants Commission (UGC). To take this exam, the candidate must hold a master’s degree with a minimum grade of 55% from a recognized university.